Bad pun…I know but I just couldn’t resist!
So Husband did a big garage clean up a few weeks back and found some not-so-lovely linen stashed away. I’m not sure where it came from (I know I didn’t buy it and we definitely had it before we were engaged/married – maybe Husband has a thing for ugly tablecloths?!) but I thought it would make a great skirt!
Unfortunately its time in the garage has left it a bit mouldy, but we’ll get back to that later.
I wanted to do a gathered skirt maintaining as much of the integrity of the original print as I could. I used the length of the tablecloth (minus the brown boarder at either end) and gathered it up to form the skirt. Then I used the two brown boarder bits to make a waistband. It was that easy!
The only colour zip I had left was this mint green one that was salvaged from something or other a while back. I think this is the first time I’ve sewn a fashion garment and not used an invisible zip! Pretty straight forward. I ended up doing a bit of sewing through my previously-mentioned headache and this project soothed it rather than building upon it!
I took some photos here of my semi-finished skirt:
Back to the mould bits. I could have left the skirt as is, except for the mouldy bits. They weren’t extremely obvious, but I knew about them and that was enough!
So I thought I’d try my hand at using a dye. It’s all the rage in my blog reader at the moment, why not give it a go? First I attacked the more obvious spots with some bleach and a cotton bud
I was hoping for a mint green to match the zip, but my brain is so full of phlegm I only bought green and plum forgot about the blue component. I was a bit worried about the greenness of it in the washing machine, but once it dried off I was quite happy with the colour. I don’t think I’ll worry about the teal…
The final product!
Finally thought ahead for once (and didn’t post a project as soon as I’d stopped sewing!) and got hubby to take a shot of me actually wearing my new skirt! As you can see from this pic, I neglected to interface, so the waistband is a bit scrunched. That’s about the only thing I’m unhappy with, apart from that dorky facial expression! Can’t wait to get more use out of this one!