Last post I mentioned that I’d taken part in a refashion/60s challenge, where the entry could be a refashioned garment, a 60s garment or a refashioned 60s garment!
Right from the start I knew I wanted the blue dress from this 1960 Butterick pattern…
…but not in blue. I had a vintage sheet in mind – I call it vintage because it came from my Mother-In-Law who is herself vintage, therefore the sheet is at least vintage by association right? It was a double sheet given to us for a sofa bed which we no longer have. Unfortunately I got cutting before I took a photo, so this is one of the matching pillow cases.
So I had the pattern idea, I had the fabric…then along came the occasion! My Auntie had a Hollywood themed party! What better excuse to bust out some vintage fashion! The problem? I decided to start sewing this outfit at 4:30pm on Friday afternoon, knowing that I was going out to dinner that evening and that I was engaged all day Saturday before the party Saturday evening! Whoops! Did I also mention that I didn’t have a pattern?
I made the dress on my dress form from start to finish, first time I’d ever attempted something like that! First part was the bodice. I was going for something like this number Audrey Hepburn wore in Love in the Afternoon (1957). Technically not 1960s, but meh.
So much pinning! The skirt was just a big rectangle, gathered at the top. There is a side sip under the armhole. Unfortunately I was so rushed that I didn’t get many progress shots and the ones I did take have gone missing!
So this is it!
It’s a shame it will have to gather dust in my wardrobe until another fancy dress party comes along! It was super comfy, I think the sheet was brushed cotton or something similar. It was so soft and had a silky feel to it! Maybe I should may some PJs with the remaining scrap and the two pillow cases – problem is I’ll probably never take them off!